streams

streams

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Country Roads

We have two major roads that lead from our house to the city. Old 218 is a country road that goes by the river and passes through picturesque farmland. Since it’s a two-lane road with lots of curves, you can’t drive very fast on it.

Most drivers around these parts prefer to drive on ‘New 218’. This new expressway runs parallel to the old road. It’s a 4-lane, divided highway on which most people maintain speeds of close to 75 miles per hour. It’s a much more efficient way to get places than the old road.

Frequently, I think God’s prescribed route for me is on a slow and winding road. I can see others on the new, efficient highway that runs parallel to my path. They are going places and getting there quickly. Occasionally, I’m tempted to get off my country road and get on the expressway. I don’t feel like ‘staying the course’.

“You’re blessed when you stay on course,
Walking steadily on the road revealed by God.
You’re blessed when you follow his directions,
Doing your best to find him.
That’s right--You don’t go off on your own,
You walk straight along the road he set.
(Ps. 119:1-3 MSG)

I need to stay the course on the path that God has chosen for me, even if everyone else is on the expressway running alongside it.

No comments:

Post a Comment