streams

streams

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Hyphenated Names

When women get married, they have the choice of keeping their last names, changing to their husband’s last name, or blending both names to form a hyphenated last name.

Similarly, when we commit to a life with Christ, we have some choices to make. Some of us choose to keep our names unaltered while others merely add on Christ to their existing identity. Most of us are hesitant to give up our identity and take on Christ’s name.

The more we feel like we’ve accomplished in our own power, the harder it is to surrender our egos. The longer we’ve lived on our own terms, the more hesitant we are to give up our self-hood.

"I identified myself completely with him. Indeed, I have been crucified with Christ. My ego is no longer central. It is no longer important that I appear righteous before you or have your good opinion, and I am no longer driven to impress God. Christ lives in me. The life you see me living is not "mine," but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:19-21 MSG)

When we are completely committed to Christ, our egos, are no longer relevant. We are not recognized by hyphenated names. Our identity is in Christ alone.

1 comment: