streams

streams

Monday, November 26, 2012

Prayer and Pace

My son recently started to drive.  The other day, when he was more than 10 minutes late coming home, I started to get concerned. I sent out a silent prayer and kept looking through the windows for his car. I was hesitant to call or text him because I didn’t want to distract him in case he was still driving. A friend of mine was with me at the time, and she was also praying, unbeknownst to me.  After a certain amount of time, pacing and praying, I thought I heard a noise in one of the rooms. Thinking it was just the dog, I opened the door to find my son, sitting safely, inside my house. He had come home when I was in the bathroom, and I hadn’t heard the front door opening.
 
This made me think of how often I pray and pace.  I have a hard time sitting still when I’m anxious. To be honest, I have a hard time sitting still even when I’m NOT anxious. Pacing back and forth fills no purpose other than expending some of my nervous energy.  In times of stress, I wish I could just stay calm and trust God. 

My request was already answered before I even prayed. I just hadn‘t realized it yet.  God often takes care of our needs even before we ask.  Our failure to recognize His grace is what leads to anxious pacing.  When we become conscious of His love at a soul level, our approach shifts to one of prayer and praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment