streams

streams

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Addictions

As most of my friends know, I tend to have an obsessive compulsive streak. When I get fixated on a habit, it's similar to an addiction. I know it is not life-enhancing, yet I can't seem to change. It's like I'm in a desert, and all I can think of is how to get a drink.

“If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Rivers of living water will brim and spill out of the depths of anyone who believes in me this way" (John 7:37-39 MSG)

I am thirsty and parched. I long for a drink. This desire overtakes everything else. I become obsessed with finding an oasis, but I can't differentiate a mirage from a real aquifer.

Come to me and drink. In order to quench our desire, we have to be able to distinguish between a real source and a mirage. The longer we remain dehydrated, the more susceptible we are to hallucinations. Once we find a source of water, we must not wander away. We must come to the aquifer and drink.

God is the source and culmination of our desire. His Spirit brims and spills out of our depths. This Spirit satisfies our thirst. This is the perpetual spring that nourishes our soul. Everything else is just a mirage.

No comments:

Post a Comment