streams

streams

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Complicating Your Life

There are many books and articles out there about simplifying your life. Although most people would prefer to have simple lives, most of us make choices that end up complicating our lives further. 

I read a sermon by Philip Gulley in which he talks about how our lives get invaded and later overtaken by our choices. Here is the link:

I won’t attempt to expand on Gulley’s writing, because his writing is already beautiful and succinct. However, I would like to process my thoughts on this subject. 

Change is usually complicated.  Maintaining the status quo would be simpler.  I’m at a phase where I’m considering making some changes in my life. My choices may be disruptive to my family. I want to be productive, but I don’t want to produce disharmony. I want growth, but not invasive growth.

As I carefully consider introducing new things into my life, I have to ponder the long term effect of my choices. What seems beneficial in the present might destroy the delicate balance that God has achieved. He is the landscape designer. His vision incorporates not just the plants, but the walkways, bridges, ponds, terrain, and buildings. His concern also extends to the overall welfare of every creature in the ecosystem, including the birds, squirrels, and insects.  I, on the other hand, am just the gardener. I’ve been appointed to water and care for a little plot. I must be careful about impulsively bringing in species that strike my fancy, but might disrupt God’s well-laid plans. Life becomes a tangled mess when too many things compete with each other. God’s plans are never unnecessarily complicated.

“Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matt. 11:28-30 MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment