streams

streams

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Independence and Individuality

“The characteristics of individuality are independence and self-will. We hinder our spiritual growth more than any other way by continually asserting our individuality.” (My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers)

I was surprised when I read this statement! I’ve always thought that individuality and independence were good characteristics to strive for, while conformity and dependence were to be avoided at all cost.  

The word “individual” originated from the Latin word individuus --meaning not divisible. 

Why is individuality--or indivisibility--a hindrance to spiritual growth?

(Since I couldn’t figure this out, I decided to take a break and make myself some eggs for breakfast. I cracked open two eggs, separated the whites from the yolks to avoid the cholesterol, and thought about this conundrum as I watched the egg whites cook in the pan. Later, as I was chewing, I realized how I had divided the eggs several times—first from the shell, then the yolk from the white.)

Both the shell and the yolk are necessary for the development of an egg into a new, individual chick. But, for my purposes they needed to be divided. I didn’t want the cholesterol to clog up my arteries. Similarly, individuality and independence are useful to human development, but not for God’s purposes. Spiritual growth involves cracking our outer shell and dividing our core. God separates what is useful to Him from the parts that merely clog up His plans. Thus, individuality--or a resistance to being divided--becomes a hindrance to spiritual growth.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you bring us into the moment of your excellent analogy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really happens that way. I read something. I scratch my head in confusion. I get up and do some housework...and understanding seeps in. Other times, years go by and I'm still clueless!

    ReplyDelete