streams

streams

Friday, December 21, 2012

Unworthy

Some people feel undeserving of God’s attention. They believe that they are not good enough. They look at their life and sense their inferiority. They project this sense of worthlessness into their relationship with God. If other humans think that they are unfit for company, why wouldn’t God?

Humility is a virtue, but insecurity is not. Humility implies modesty and humbleness, while insecurity denotes a lack of confidence. This slight but important difference is portrayed by the centurion in Matthew, Chapter 8:

“When Yeshua entered Kapernahum, a certain Centurion approached him and he prayed to him. And he said, “My Lord, my boy is lying in the house and is paralyzed and he is badly tormented.” Yeshua said to him, “I shall come and heal him.” That Centurion answered and said, “My lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say in a word and my boy will be healed.” “I also am a man under authority and soldiers are under my hand, and I say to this one, 'Go', and he goes, and to another, 'Come', and he comes, and to my servant, 'Do this', and he does.” But when Yeshua heard, he was amazed, and he said to them that came with him, “Truly I say to you, that not even in Israel have I found faith like this.” (Matt. 8:5-13 Aramaic Bible in Plain English)

This captain of the Roman army is not insecure, yet he is humble. He recognizes his unworthiness next to Jesus, but at the same time, he has placed his confidence in the Lord.

None of us is worthy, yet we are secure in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment