streams

streams

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Do Less Harm


“Love makes it impossible to harm another.” (Romans 13:10 TPT)

At the end of each month, I go over my checking account to ensure that my withdrawals are less than my deposits. There have been financially stressful times when bills outweighed income. These dry seasons taught me to live frugally. Even during times of abundance, I continue to live well below my means and save up. I am wary of lifestyle creep and debt. I realized early on that a positive balance was worth more than anything the marketplace had to offer. 

This principle of a positive balance can be applied to all areas of life. I wish to practice more beneficial behaviors and fewer harmful actions. With this in mind, I have been evaluating the choices I make on a daily basis. Are my words uplifting or dispiriting? Does my lifestyle inspire goodness? Or do I promote materialism? Am I encouraging and empowering? Or am I condescending and cynical? Does my creativity outweigh my consumption? Am I damaging the environment or am I nurturing it? Are my choices adding value or diminishing dignity?

All of us desire to do more good than harm. However, we do not keep track of our deposits and withdrawals diligently. Take a moment to examine your life. Are you making a net positive impact?


No comments:

Post a Comment