streams

streams

Friday, March 26, 2021

Freedom to Love and Serve

 “You have been given freedom: not freedom to do wrong, but freedom to love and serve each other.” (Galatians 5:13 TLB)

A few years ago, I visited a country where littering is commonplace in public areas. Confounded by this practice, I asked the locals why this was acceptable. The responses varied, but there were some general themes: This is the way things are here. We keep our homes and yards clean, but the rest is not our problem. Everyone does it. Nobody cares. It’s good for the economy, because it gives poor people something to collect and sell. Disposing of trash properly is a hassle, and we can’t be bothered. While there are laws against littering, they are not enforced--so it must be okay. 

While littering is inconsiderate, it is probably less harmful than maskless mingling during the pandemic. Confounded by images of super-spreader gatherings, I have asked several people why they participate in such behavior. Their justifications include: It’s no big deal. I’m healthy--so if I get sick, I will recover. I already had Covid. I already got the vaccine, so I won’t get sick. I am helping the economy. Since businesses are open, it must be okay. Wearing a mask properly is too much of a hassle. I have the freedom to do whatever I please. 

There are common threads in both these scenarios. The desire for individual freedom overrides any devotion to public service. The short-sighted excuses conceal self-centeredness: Will my behavior impact me or my family negatively? If not, why should I diminish my fun?

Step back and take a wide-angle view. Look at the comprehensive effects of your choices and how they influence others. What messages do we send as we participate in activities? What values do we reveal as we condone certain behaviors? We have been given both the ability to think and the freedom to make decisions. Let us use this freedom to love and serve each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment