streams

streams

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Double-Digit Lows


Do not yield to fear, for I am always near. Never turn your gaze from me, for I am your faithful God. I will infuse you with my strength and help you in every situation.” (Isaiah 41:10 TPT)

There are winter days in Iowa where the high temperatures do not rise above 9 degrees Fahrenheit, and the lows are well below zero. Even the dog rushes back indoors quickly when it is this cold. This is when frostbite sets in on exposed skin and cars parked outside quit working.  During these days, I engage in two kinds of coping mechanisms. 

--First, I look forward to the days when we shall have double-digit lows. A low temperature of 10 degrees seems positively tropical after a week of sub-zero weather. 

--Second, I remind myself it could be worse. I know there are places in this world that are much colder. I give thanks for warm shelter, a working furnace, electricity, and the option to stay indoors. 

Although my coping mechanisms sound wholesome, they are disordered. My focus remains on my circumstances: either I am looking forward to days when things are a few degrees more comfortable, or I am reminding myself that others have it worse. This is my F.O.E.--my Focus On the Earthly--the enemy within. 

The Lord guards me from my foes. He does so by infusing me with strength, NOT by removing tough obstacles. The circumstances remain as they are. He trains me to switch my focus, to gaze upon Him rather than on the hardships that surround me. My stability comes from God’s firm grip on me. I shall not yield to fear, for God is always near.


No comments:

Post a Comment