streams

streams

Thursday, March 11, 2021

Feeding Evil


“For we naturally love to do evil things that are just the opposite from the things that the Holy Spirit tells us to do; and the good things we want to do when the Spirit has his way with us are just the opposite of our natural desires. These two forces within us are constantly fighting each other to win control over us, and our wishes are never free from their pressures.” (Galatians 5:17 TLB)

The following Cherokee legend illustrates the battle between good and evil within each of us: A grandfather is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy. “It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego.” He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.” The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?” The old grandfather simply replied, “The one you feed.”

For the last few years, I have been making a concerted effort to feed the good wolf within me. I cultivate gratitude, empathy, compassion, forgiveness, and faith. I seek love, joy, peace, hope, serenity, and simplicity. I aspire to be humble and benevolent. All of these practices have made the good wolf within me to grow larger. Yet, I have not starved the bad wolf. She stays lean and hungry and hidden. When I feel defensive, hurt, or exploited--I trot the bad wolf out. There are times when I covet her anger, arrogance, resentment, and ego.  I’m afraid the good wolf would get eaten alive by those who try to take advantage of me. Thus, the desire for self-preservation makes me keep the bad wolf around, too.  

Good and evil are incompatible with each other. These two forces are fighting within me. As long as I indulge my self-interest, the battle continues. The bad wolf does not just fight other bad wolves that attack me, but also the good wolf that lives within me.  Thus, I must choose. I can either give in to the compulsions of my carnal nature or be led by the Spirit of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment