streams

streams

Friday, March 12, 2021

Yesterday's Garbage


“I now realize that all I gained and thought was important was nothing but yesterday’s garbage compared to knowing the Anointed Jesus my Lord.” (Philippians 3:8 TLB)

Roasted meat smells so good as it comes out of the oven. But any leftovers thrown in the trash will stink within a few days. As meat decomposes, it produces a putrid odor. This is an obvious sign that the meat is no longer safe to consume. However, meat that tastes and smells okay can still contain harmful microorganisms that can make you sick. We can’t solely rely on our senses to detect what is rotten.

Like meat that has spoiled, many of the things that I thought were significant now seem moldy.  For example, I used to believe that other people’s opinions about me were relevant.  I now realize that perception does not always align with truth. Whether someone thinks I am short or tall does not change the reality that I am 5’4”. 

Much of what I believed has disintegrated. I’ve hung on to decayed viewpoints much too long. I now realize that all I gained and thought was important was nothing but yesterday’s garbage compared to knowing Christ. As long as I continue to occupy myself with mundane worries, I remain immersed in the putrid pit. 

Grace uplifts me.

To fully know and experience Christ 

To move beyond earthly concerns, 

To exist in a transcendent realm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment