streams

streams

Monday, March 15, 2021

The Delusion of Control


 “The way I work surpasses the way you work, and the way I think is beyond the way you think.” (Isaiah 55:9 MSG)

When playing Scrabble, sometimes there are a myriad of options, and other times there are only a few. Managing the board involves both strategy and luck. A player with some experience and knowledge can usually maneuver out of tight situations. When there are limited spaces and tiles left to play, the game becomes arduous. Even the most masterful players have to concede when they realize they are out of options. 

There have been times in my life where I thought I was in control. I had all my moves planned out in advance. I imagined I could figure everything out if I tried hard enough. And there have been times when all my resources were exhausted. When there are no more moves to make, all you can do is admit that life was unmanageable. 

Unlike in a board game, the consequences of feeling uncertain and stuck in life can be debilitating. During these periods of despair and hopelessness, I came to a realization: life had always been unmanageable. I had just been operating under the delusion that I was in control. Even when I was a mover of pieces and earning points, I was simply playing a game...just like everyone else. God’s moves were beyond my understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment