streams

streams

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Foggy Glasses

“For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.” (1 Corinthians 14:33 ESV)

When I run outdoors in the winter, I always wear sunglasses. They provide some protection against the wind as well as reduce accumulation of ice crystals on my eyelashes. Sunglasses can fog up quickly in the cold, limiting visibility. When my warm breath hits the cold air, condensation is inevitable. Wiping away the haze every few seconds is annoying. But if I can’t see where I’m going, I may fall and injure myself. Thus, I have learned to continually clean my glasses as I am running. 

I have noticed a parallel to the above phenomena during times of uncertainty. Lack of clarity is such a frequent part of my life, but until recently I couldn’t pinpoint the cause. When my internal principles are drastically different from the external culture, my vision becomes foggy. This leads me to question my perspective. My steps become unsure. Wiping away the haze requires me to reexamine my core values. I must do this constantly, intentionally. There is no other way to prevent falls and injury. Certitude is rarely a permanent condition. But God does not intend for us to remain confused either.  He wants us to be clear-minded and at peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment