streams

streams

Friday, August 27, 2021

Going in Circles

“I continue to pray for your love to grow and increase beyond measure, bringing you into the rich revelation of spiritual insight in all things.” (Philippians 1:9 TPT) 

I’m in the middle of training for another marathon. There are many logistical issues associated with running for several hours. Since I start before sunrise, I wear a headlamp and a lighted vest for the first part. I loop back to my parked car once an hour for water. I drop off the headlamp and vest and pick up my hat and sunglasses. This pattern continues until I reach the number of miles I need to do. My GPS watch maps my running path. It reveals how I run in circles. Even though my progress appears nonlinear, I am running the distance and growing in strength and endurance. 

When I was younger, I thought I would have everything figured out by the time I reached forty years of age. Now, at fifty-two, I am still going around in circles. I thought growth would look like a positive trend line on a graph. Instead, it has been cyclical. Every few years, I find myself looping back. I take time to reexamine my priorities and reevaluate my beliefs. Some ideas that are no longer functional are left behind. New concepts are incorporated before I move forward into the next phase of life. Even though my progress appears nonlinear, I remind myself that I am still growing in empathy, compassion, and spiritual insights.


No comments:

Post a Comment