streams

streams

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Motives and Behavior


“His sight was completely restored, and he could see everything clearly. Jesus sent him away, saying, ‘Don’t go back into the village, on your way home.’” (Mark 8:25-26 NLT)

Jesus seems to avoid publicity. 

Does this mean that we are to keep miraculous experiences to ourselves? Is public testimony contrary to Scripture? 

There are times when I am hesitant about praising God’s work in my life. It feels braggy. I don’t want to call attention to myself. But when my joy bubbles over, I can’t help but share some things with my closest friends. 

I wonder if Jesus knew that publicity would only bring attention to Himself and not to the Father? Miracles by their nature are spectacular, and spectacles can be distracting.  Perhaps Jesus did not want to deflect from His mission or detract from the message. 

Maybe it is the motivation behind the praise that matters, even if the results end up calling attention to oneself.  But how can any of us assess our true motivations? 

Lord, I throw up my hands in resignation. I do not know my motivations for praising You. Take my offering and sift out the impurities. I am thankful for Your presence and revelations. Show me how to express joy and gratitude in ways that glorify You. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment