streams

streams

Friday, August 13, 2021

Pushing Through the Middle

“I run straight for the divine invitation of reaching the heavenly goal and gaining the victory-prize through the anointing of Jesus.” (Philippians 3:14 TPT)

When I am running a marathon, I follow certain rituals. During the first half, I think about the mile I’m in--keeping a steady pace, breathing evenly, staying aware of my surroundings, and maintaining good form.  Once I am past the halfway point, I allow myself to think of the finish line--the feeling of accomplishment, the shiny medal, and post-race food. I imagine that a rubber band is pulling me back to the finish line. These routines provide me with the extra boost I need during the most difficult part of the race. 

I practice similar rituals when I am going through other challenging situations as well. During the first half, it is relatively easy to focus on God’s presence surrounding me. I am also energized by the excitement, enthusiasm, and passion that are part of most new adventures. Then comes the tough middle--when the newness has worn off, and the end is nowhere in sight. The temptation to give up is overwhelming.  I have to accept that communion with God is going to take more effort and focus in this phase than it did in the beginning. I fix my mind on the heavenly goal and gaining the victory prize. I imagine the tug of hope pulling me like a rubber band toward the finish. I lean heavily on the Holy Spirit to fill me with energy and courage as I push through the wall. 

“Be enthusiastic to serve the Lord, keeping your passion toward him boiling hot! Radiate with the glow of the Holy Spirit and let him fill you with excitement as you serve him. Let this hope burst forth within you, releasing a continual joy. Don’t give up in a time of trouble, but commune with God at all times.” (Romans 12:11-12 TPT)


No comments:

Post a Comment