streams

streams

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Humble Disciples


“Instead he emptied himself of his outward glory by reducing himself to the form of a lowly servant. He became human! He humbled himself and became vulnerable.” (Philippians 2:7-8 TPT)

I am currently listening to the podcast series: The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill by Christianity Today. At the time of this writing, I have listened to the seven episodes that have been released; there are five more to be published in the upcoming months. Although it may be premature, I feel compelled to share some of my thoughts on this profound piece of journalism. 

 The series provides an in-depth look at some popular Christian movements and leaders from the last fifty years. It specifically addresses the meteoric rise and fall of certain pastors and megachurches. However, underlying this main story arc, there are some complex concerns. 

Why are we as Christ followers enamored by prideful leaders? 

Why are we willing to overlook character flaws if someone is affirming us?

Jesus was known for his humility. He emptied Himself of glory to become vulnerable. He voluntarily abdicated his power and shared in human frailty. Christ asks us to be humble disciples. He calls pastors and leaders to be good shepherds who guide with love and compassion. Jesus modeled the role of servant leader. He was not a CEO who built megachurches . He was not a macho man who exerted power over others. 

I realize that I have played a part in enabling some of these leaders and their ideas. I have espoused and perpetuated beliefs that do not align with Christ-like character. I apologize and ask forgiveness for my misjudgment. 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment