streams

streams

Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Hostile Architecture


‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty and not give you food and something to drink? When did we see you homeless, or poorly clothed? When did we see you sick and not help you, or in prison and not visit you?’ (Matthew 25:44 TPT) 

Hostile architecture is a form of defensive design used to discourage homeless people from using public spaces. Here are a few examples: spikes on sidewalks or window ledges to make sleeping on them uncomfortable, sloped or curved seating areas, randomly placed armrests on benches, and boulders under bridges. I have walked by these structures without thinking much about them. 

If I am being honest, homeless people make me feel uncomfortable. I know they exist, but I would rather not interact with them as I walk out of a store with whatever I just bought. It makes me feel guilty. I don’t mind making donations to local shelters, but I would rather not deal directly with those who are needy. This is hard to admit. 

I have a whole list of defensive reasons for my attitude. This hostile architecture of the mind acts as a barrier against the Spirit dwelling in me. It prevents me from acknowledging the inconsistencies between what I profess to believe and my lifestyle choices. It allows me to avert my eyes and pretend I don’t recognize Jesus in the poor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment