streams

streams

Friday, August 20, 2021

Personal Bravery


“The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds’ feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and make [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]!” (Habakkuk 3:19 AMPC)


I feel like I've been rowing a boat across an ocean. I've reached a new territory, but I am reluctant to let go of the boat that got me thus far. Instead, I continue to hang around the landing spot, waiting for the courage to strike out into the unknown. 


According to sociologist Brene Brown, we learn courage by couragingWe all express bravery differently. One person’s default is another person’s courage. 


For example, when I feel wronged, my default setting is to react and speak up immediately. I have noticed some others do the opposite--they retreat and avoid conflict whenever possible. Couraging requires us to let go of the usual way we handle situations and practice new and uncomfortable habits.  


I have been couraging more lately. I draw on the Lord’s strength for my personal bravery. I approach challenging situations with the nimbleness of a deer. I am learning not to react offensively or defensively, but with trust. My spiritual progress is dependent on following God’s lead. Every day brings new understanding. Growth requires an incorporation of these revelations into my daily choices and releasing previous roles and habits. 


No comments:

Post a Comment