streams

streams

Thursday, August 5, 2021

Sacred vs. Common


“They are responsible for teaching My people Israel the line between the sacred and common.” (Ezekiel 44:23 VOICE)

How do you delineate between sacred ground and common ground?

Cultural narratives are shaped by mutual interests and agreements that uphold our sense of identity and worthiness. It feels good to gather on common ground. Each of us also has inviolable convictions for which we are willing to suffer. This is sacred ground. 

Since I am surrounded by cultural behaviors and beliefs, it is easy to imagine I am standing on sacred ground when I may still be digging my feet into common ground. For example, let’s say my doctor recommends that I exercise regularly. I have trusted this physician for health-related advice before, and I believe in her credibility. However, if 9 out of 10 of my closest contacts are not regular exercisers, their cumulative influence will outweigh my doctor’s advice. My choices are more likely to reflect my environment.

The above mentioned bias applies to other areas as well: religion, politics, diet, sporting team preferences, smoking, alcohol use, vaccinations, fashion choices, consumption patterns, etc., are impacted by the cumulative influence of those that are closest to us. Maintaining common ground affirms our sense of belonging, so there is a natural desire to remain on familiar territory. Sacred ground rarely feels comfortable or sociable. It is often a space of solitude, suffering, and uncertainty. Recognizing what is sacrosanct requires discernment. Standing your sacred ground takes fortitude. 


No comments:

Post a Comment