streams

streams

Monday, August 23, 2021

Unsubscribe


“No one cuts up a fine silk scarf to patch old work clothes; you want fabrics that match. And you don’t put your wine in cracked bottles.” (Matthew 9:16-17 MSG)

My email inbox had been inundated with impersonal messages. At some point, I must have given my address to these groups. I was no longer interested in whatever they were marketing.  Deleting these emails was not enough, as new ones continued to pop up regularly. I had to take the extra time to open each of these emails and unsubscribe. Although it took some effort, it felt freeing to secede from these groups. 

This got me thinking...

What other associations and ideologies do I need to detach from? Have I been patchworking new awareness with old belief systems? Am I putting fresh insights into cracked paradigms? Merely ignoring misconceptions and misinterpretations has not been enough. The consequences of systemic biases keep popping up. Before I can unsubscribe from these dogmas, I have to open each of them and examine them carefully. This is going to be uncomfortable and time-consuming. 


No comments:

Post a Comment