streams

streams

Monday, August 16, 2021

The Blessing of Work


“I realized there is nothing better for us than to find joy in the work we do, for work is its own reward.” (Ecclesiastes 3:22 VOICE)


Whenever I meet someone new, one of the first questions they ask is: ‘What kind of work do you do?’


I do not have a simple answer. There is no single title to describe all that I do. For the last several decades, all of my work has been unpaid. This used to bother me a great deal as I was raised to believe that the amount of money you made was the primary measure of your worth. Thus, I considered most of what I did insignificant. 


Not anymore. 


These days, I have learned to find joy and meaning in my work. I recognize beauty and sanctity in the mundane. Even though I feel physically and mentally drained, my soul is full at the end of each day. The world may never recognize what I do as worthy. I may not be compensated, admired, or remembered. Yet, I find my work rewarding and satisfying. My heart is content. I am blessed. 


Below is a wonderful poem on this topic by the Irish author and priest, John O’Donohue:


Blessing of your work


May the light of your soul guide you.

May the light of your soul bless the work

You do with the secret love and warmth of your heart.

May you see in what you do the beauty of your own soul.

May the sacredness of your work bring healing, light and renewal to those

Who work with you and to those who see and receive your work.

May your work never weary you.

May it release within you wellsprings of refreshment, inspiration and excitement.

May you be present in what you do.

May you never become lost in the bland absences.

May the day never burden you.

May dawn find you awake and alert, approaching your new day with dreams,

Possibilities and promises.

May evening find you gracious and fulfilled.

May you go into the night blessed, sheltered and protected.

May your soul calm, console and renew you.


No comments:

Post a Comment