streams

streams

Friday, August 6, 2021

Mimetic Desire


 “Don’t imitate what is evil, but imitate that which is good.” (3 John 1:11 TPT)

The French philosopher Rene Girard came up with the mimetic theory of desire. Girard noticed that our subconscious desires are influenced by the wants of others. Humans mimic each other. This is how we learn to fit into society. We like to imagine that our desires are uniquely individualistic, but they are motivated by the wants of those we admire. 

For example, let’s take some of my desires: privacy,  peace, and quiet. Where and when might I have learned to assign value to these traits? I am not sure, but I have a hunch it might have been from my paternal grandmother. My grandma was a huge influence on me as a child. I remember her as the most dependable adult from my childhood days. As a mother of fourteen children and a gazillion grandchildren, her home was always full. She considered privacy as the ultimate luxury. She was a cheerful caretaker, but I could sense her relief whenever she had moments of peace and quiet

Now, think about the things you deeply desire. Where, when, and why have you learned to assign value to these objects, experiences, or traits? 

As humans, we are going to mimic the culture in which we are immersed. We are bound to assign value to what others value. Once we recognize how much our environment influences us, we can be more selective about the role models we choose. If you aspire to be a decent human being, surround yourself with those who are virtuous. Don’t imitate what is evil, but imitate that which is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment