streams

streams

Friday, February 10, 2012

The Godfather

For years, I have been praying that God would reveal Himself to my family members. I've never thought that this was motivated by self-interest, but it is. I'm hoping that once everyone is in the same boat going in the same direction, our lives will be wholesome, safe, peaceful, and easier.

If God appeared in person and asked us to do something difficult and painful, I wouldn't be too thrilled. I just want enough God to protect us from evil, and lead good lives, yet not expect us to do anything too uncomfortable.

I can see that my relationship is skewed. I treat God like He is the patriarch in The Godfather movies. I expect Him to provide favors and protection from thugs, but I'm hoping he won't ask me to lay my life on the line.

This reminded me of a poem I'd read long time ago by Wilbur Rees:

Three Dollars Worth of God
I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please.
Not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep,
but just enough to equal a cup of warm milk
or a snooze in the sunshine.
I don’t want enough of God to make me love a black man
or pick beets with a migrant.
I want ecstasy, not transformation.
I want warmth of the womb, not a new birth.
I want a pound of the Eternal in a paper sack.
I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please.
— Wilbur Rees

2 comments:

  1. What does God want from us? More attention and time and devotion? Your post made me wonder, and then I wondered what that would really look like. And, is our vision fueled by guilt or desire? Hmmmmm hmmmmm hmmmmmm . :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God loves us. So He must desire to be one with us. Loving relationships are not fueled by guilt. I think, what God wants from us is for us to want to be with Him as much as He wants to be with us.

    ReplyDelete