streams

streams

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Why, God?

A youth pastor and his wife died in a car crash a few days ago. They were dedicated, faithful servants of God. Their children are now orphans.

This makes no sense to me.

Lord, why would You allow this to happen?

I went to the book of Job, where God answers a similar question. Job is a righteous, faithful man. Yet God allowed great suffering in his life. Job asks the question that we have all asked, "What did I do to deserve this?" (Job 30:24 MSG)

God answers by pointing to the complexity of creation, every mystery in the universe. I read through God's answer. I was still not satisfied.

Then I remembered something that I understood but couldn't help my son comprehend. For the laws of sines and cosines, the formulas work for acute angles in triangles but not for obtuse angles because they extend into the 2nd quadrant. My son said what most of you are thinking right now, "That makes no sense!"

I replied, "Just because it is a complicated concept that is beyond your understanding, that doesn't make it nonsense. It just does not make sense to you."

In my attempt to understand God, I simplify Him, reduce His mystery to everyday analogies to which I can relate. My formulas only work for 1st quadrant stuff. When something comes up in other realms that are beyond my comprehension, I get agitated. I just have to accept that it makes sense to God and even if He tried to explain it to me, I wouldn't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment