streams

streams

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Whale Watching

A few years ago, while visiting Alaska, we went on a whale watching cruise.
For hours we looked out over the horizon and finally someone spotted them. A mother whale and her baby. I watched in awe as they revealed their tails, the top of their heads, and their sides. I got the feeling that they were intentional about their movements.  As they swam away, one whale lifted up it's tail and waved, a practice known as lobtailing.  I knew I was changed. I had connected with something mystical for a few minutes.

Every day is an opportunity to expectantly look out for God. He might only reveal a tiny fraction of his glory at any given time. It might be in your husband's smile, your friend's tears, your son's passion for music. Yesterday, God gave me a lobtail.  A good friend got a clean PET scan after months of chemotherapy. I'm overwhelmed with gratitude for this answered prayer.

We have to be actively looking for God in daily events. These mystical encounters can transform our perspective. We realize our smallness. We recognize our oneness. We are impelled to play our part in the symphony around us.

1 comment: