streams

streams

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Easter Eggs


When I was a kid, I loved Easter egg hunts. I would search under bushes and behind trees for those colorful plastic eggs filled with candy. After I gathered them in my basket, I would go and sit down with my loot and carefully open each egg and examine the treasure inside.

Every day I find little packages of God's glory: the snow on tree branches, the words in a book, a phrase from a song. Sometimes, friends share their discoveries and experiences of God encounters in their lives. I collect all these treasures in my mind, and when I get a chance, I sit down and unpack these thoughts.

I wonder at the nuggets of truth and wisdom that spill out from each little unassuming incident. I always have to crack open the exterior, obvious shell since the best parts are always hidden inside. Then comes my favorite part. Tasting, savoring, and chewing on the contents. 

Writing is how I unpack my thoughts. I examine each little packet and as I crack them open, out spills God's glory. I taste, savor, and chew.

I guess that makes blogging similar to chewing with my mouth open! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Your description of "unpacking" your thoughts reminded me of some ideas I heard from the book on CD "Quiet" that I am listening to:
    1) Solitary thought is a lost art nowadays; everything is done as a group.
    2) The people who are really good at what they do become so good by solitary study.
    3) Some of the best ideas/concepts/inventions created by humans came about through sustained individual effort and concentration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one. I too am a thinker. I am chewing on some things right now which need to go in my blog soon. Why are you tempting me? I have many other things "to do." :)

    ReplyDelete