streams

streams

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Going against the grain

"Why do you insist on going against the grain?" (Acts 26:14 MSG)

I've always equated the phrase, "going against the grain", as a symbol for nonconformity. I've never liked following the herd, since I strive to think for myself.

Today, as I read this verse, I realized that the grain in a piece of wood is intrinsic, God-intentioned. Conformity would look more like particle board, with no grain. Particle board is just pieces of wood from different sources, pressed together in a machine, conformed to specific sizes.

Cultural conformity strips us of our ingrained uniqueness. I must look closely at the grain within myself and others around me. Each of us have an inherent pattern laid out by God. I must work with the grain as I sand down the roughness.

No comments:

Post a Comment