streams

streams

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Battling Guilt



According to Cathy Guisewite, creator of “Cathy” comic strip, “Food, love, career and Mothers are the four major guilt groups.”

Tell me about it!

If I could draw a sketch about guilt it would look like this: There would be a cliff labeled ‘Societal Standards’. Then across from it, there would be another cliff labeled ‘Reality’. In between the gap, between these two cliff edges, would be a river labeled guilt, and I would be swimming in it. If I could draw, I would have made a t-shirt out of it!

I wish I were impervious to guilt. Wish I had a guilt-free recipe for life. Instead, I’m so familiar with this emotion that I’ve made up my own stages of guilt: shame, anger, doubt, dejection, and isolation.

I’ve been wondering how to defend against guilt. Do I just ignore it? Do I accept that I can never meet societal expectations? Or should I internalize these standards and use guilt as a motivating factor to propel me towards them?

I don’t know… I feel dejected and want to be left alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment