streams

streams

Friday, June 1, 2012

Lung Capacity

When I first started running several years ago, I would have a hard time breathing after a mile or so. I’d give up and tell myself that running was just not meant for me.

After several failed attempts, I discovered that if I jogged slowly and built up my distance over time, I didn’t feel as miserable. Now that my lung capacity has increased, running is my favorite physical activity. Ever since I heard that people who live in high altitudes develop increased lung capacity, I’ve been wanting to move to a mountainous area.

I wonder if spiritual capacity is similar to lung capacity.  Can it be improved over time with concentrated practice? When I first started spending time with God, I could only take a few minutes of it before I felt bored and distracted. Now I enjoy this time more and more and try to find ways to extend it. In due time, I hope to move to a higher place, where I can breathe in unlimited amounts of pure, life-giving spirit.

“With many such parables He used to speak the Message to them according to their capacity for receiving it.” (Mark 4:33 Weymouth New Testament)

No comments:

Post a Comment