streams

streams

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Facebook and Marriage

Recently, I read an article online titled, “Does Facebook Wreck Marriages?”

"More than 80% of U.S. divorce attorneys say they've seen a rise in the number of cases involving social networking." 
(http://money.msn.com/family-money/article.aspx?post=40f71256-a9fc-42b5-b117-84997cde08b1 )

Of course, I had to post this on my Facebook page! I started my FB account a few years ago when my husband started one. We’ve always had profile pictures of us, as a couple, on both of our pages. We also have each other’s log-ins and passwords. Despite all of this, I have always felt uneasy about social networking.
There are some advantages to Facebook. You can keep in touch with far- away cousins and see pictures of their children as they grow. It’s a great way to find out things about people you just met, too.

The disadvantages of social networking far outweigh the positives. None of us would type up a daily flyer and put it up on a bulletin board at the grocery store for everyone to see. Facebook is the equivalent of a bulletin board that is open to the whole world! It allows virtual strangers to share in our private lives, creates a false sense of intimacy, and cracks the door open for intruders.

One of my Facebook friends has been posting quotes that suggest she is discontent with her life and marriage. She probably thinks she is being subtle, just re-posting quotes she sees on other people’s walls. Yet, it sends out signals that her defenses are weak.

I guess blogging is not much better. I’m publishing my daily thoughts for all to see. How can I benefit from advances in technology and at the same time protect the sanctity of my marriage, my family, my real relationships?

______

1 comment:

  1. Like anything FB has its issues, and a broad margin for ill-use as well like you pointed out. However, if one has her/his boundaries up already, it shouldn
    t be destructive to a marriage. A lot more affairs happen actually from the workplace environment then as a result of having FB. I guess my point is that, yes, your friend is showing her vulnerability, but she's probably showing that elsewhere too, and it's definitely an issue that she will be dealing with in her life. So like anything, respect and protection for and of your spouse is imp't in FB and everywhere really.
    Yes, FB is like a bulletin board; however, it's interactive -- blogging is less so. There's no dialogue or back and forth. Seems more like an empty well. However, blogging is great for the writer who can just deposit her thoughts without desire or need for feedback. Plus,, constructed deep thoughts are the outcomes which is always good.
    I always appreciate warnings about FB, social media, particularly in the time it can take away from your actual living. I need to work on that one. :)

    ReplyDelete