streams

streams

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Redemption

The theological concept of Redemption has always been a bit difficult for me to grasp. We use the same word to describe redeeming our checks, glass bottles and used soda cans. We turn something in and get something back. I understand the definition of the word but the theological aspect is what I struggle with.

According to Dallas Willard, “Redemption in Christ is a retrieving of the entire person from alienation from God and opposition to God.”

If it were not for Christ, I would be alienated from God. Following my natural instincts of self-preservation would lead me in the opposite direction from God. Redemption rescues someone who is going in the wrong direction and puts them in the right direction.

When I say that someone has certain “redeeming qualities”, I am using the word redeeming to mean worthwhile. Redemption can thus be a way of redirection, from worthless pursuits to worthwhile ones.

In the Old Testament, Redemption meant to pay off a ransom from slavery. A similar scenario to that in current times would be to bail someone out of jail. When we are alienated from God, we are in bondage to dark forces. Redemption leads to freedom from subjugation. It changes our course and directs us towards enlightenment.



No comments:

Post a Comment