streams

streams

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Grace vs. Discipline

I use the word ‘Grace’ freely. It’s such a pretty, all encompassing, ethereal word. For example:

“I need God’s Grace to forgive my enemies and turn the other cheek.”

“Lord, give me the Grace to fight my weaknesses.”

I was reading and listening to Dallas Willard and jotted down his definitions for these words:

Grace - God doing in my life what I cannot do for myself.

Discipline- training or practice that enables me to do what is in my power.

Yikes! I might need to reevaluate my ideas on Grace. Forgiveness, selflessness, and getting rid of weaknesses might be in my power if I train and practice adequately.

I couldn’t run a marathon right now. Do I need Grace or Discipline to make it happen? If I train and practice, it is probably within my power. The truth is, I don’t want to put forth all that much effort and go through the pain of running a 26 mile race.

Similarly, there are many daily situations which require discipline. Yet, I’m a bit lazy to put forth the effort, so I ask God to do the work for me. I attempt to substitute Grace for my lack of discipline.

_____

No comments:

Post a Comment