streams

streams

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Picking Burdens

The other day, I went to my favorite hangout. The Library. I’ve mentioned before that I used to carry a large gym bag on wheels to load up my books. Then I noticed that the librarians started referring to me as the ‘bag lady’. Not to mention, my son was a bit embarrassed to go to the library with me. So I decided to ditch the bag on wheels. This time I was at the library with no book bag, trying to look cool. But, as usual, I couldn’t limit myself to fewer than 20 books. So I just ended up looking like a nerd who forgot her book bag! I almost tripped down the stairs, because I couldn’t see where I was going. I know that I can only read maybe 2 or 3 books in the 3 weeks before these books are due. Yet, I pick up more than I can handle because it all looks interesting. Just because the library allows me to choose as many books as I want, doesn’t mean I should.

I do the same with burdens and worries. I pick up more than I can handle. I know that there are few things that I have power over. I also know that I have limited time and energy. Yet, I pick up worries that might trip me up, and carry these burdens home. They lie around just cluttering up my life.

I need to be more selective in the burdens I pick up. I can only deal with so many at one time. I have to be realistic about my limitations. Just because I have the choice to pick up burdens that are not meant for me, doesn’t mean I should.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments:

Post a Comment