streams

streams

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Gift of Languages

“And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability. At that time there were devout Jews from every nation living in Jerusalem. When they heard the loud noise, everyone came running, and they were bewildered to hear their own languages being spoken by the believers.” (Acts 2:4-5 NLT)

I have heard people ‘speak in tongues’. I confess that I’m always a bit freaked-out when people do this. So, I’ve never desired this ability for myself. Instead, what I would like is the ‘gift of languages’. An ability to communicate with others in words, phrases, references and analogies that they understand.

I wish I could speak in the language of skeptics, agnostics, teenagers, senior citizens, burdened men, and wounded women. Every person has his own specialized, individualized language. I wish I had the gift to speak to each person with customized words that bring enlightenment, hope, faith, and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment