streams

streams

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Soul Quakes

I read the word ‘soul quake’ in the article by Willard that I mentioned yesterday. I’d never heard this word before, but instantly loved it.
 
Here is Willard’s description of a soul quake:
“It is a subtle shifting of vision, of feeling and will—of how people see things and feel about things, especially about themselves and what they are doing. The shifts in belief and the conscious decisions are only the epicenter of the ‘soul quake.’ They lie at the surface of life. The center lies miles deep in the soul of the individuals involved.” (Excerpt from “Living in the Vision of God” by Dallas Willard)

Have you ever experienced such a soul quake? A shift in the tectonic plates deep within you that changes the surface landscape of your life? I have. I’ve had quakes that led to devastating tsunamis that washed away everything. I also have small-scale daily quakes, so subtle that I hardly notice them anymore. I am no longer the person I was 30 years ago. Each soul quake shifts my perspective, my attitude, my decisions, and subsequently the topography of my life.

“When the earth quakes and its people live in turmoil, I am the one who keeps its foundations firm.” (Psalm 75:3 NLT)

God is aware of every situation that shakes our core. He notices every rift and every crack. Our Lord keeps us steady, prevents us from caving into ourselves. God keeps us firm and stable, even through the soul quakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment