streams

streams

Friday, June 22, 2012

Bossy Pants

Here’s my latest business idea. You’ve seen pants with words written across the backside. I’ve seen ‘juicy’, ‘hottie’, and various college logos. Well, my version of this design would have the word ‘Bossy’ emblazoned on the rear! Great Idea, right?!

Yes, I’m a self-proclaimed bossy pants. I inherited the bossy gene from both my parents. (Note to self: design ‘Bossy Jeans’ next!) My sister, on the other hand, is accommodating and cooperative. Unfortunately, this makes her the recipient of the rest of the family’s domineering ways.

Sometimes I forget how damaging bossiness can be. It diminishes others. God created humans and gave us free will. He has an ideal vision for each of our lives, yet He does not push His agenda on us. We are given the choice to make mistakes and learn from them. When I impose my will on others, I dehumanize them.

I would not necessarily want the word ‘accommodating’ written on the back of my pants either! (Actually, I would never want anything written on my butt!) What I would like is to change from being bossy, but not so far as becoming passive. Neither pushy nor a push-over. I would like to be assertive, principled, and respectful of others’ boundaries. To be bold when defending the rights of others, yet accepting when their vision is different than my agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment