streams

streams

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Listophilia

The word listophilia is not in the dictionary (but it should be). Listophilia is a love for list making. I am a self-professed listophiliac. Of course I have the usual lists that most people keep around: to-do list, packing lists, grocery list, menu list, life-maintenance list, contact list, emergency-evacuation-procedure list, health-information list, financial-account-numbers-and-passwords list, birthday list, prayer list, gratitude list, store-deals list, etc. I also love to make lists about things that are only significant to me: favorite-books list, ways-I-like-to-relax list, things-I-find-enriching list, my-favorite-characteristics-in-people list, permanent-grudge list, deal-breaker list, 5-minute-chore list, free-fun list etc.

My-favorite-list-making-tools/supplies list: paper and pencil, skin and pen (forearm or palm is best) smartphone, laptop, printer, mnemonics (to help me remember mental lists) Google drive, Google-Keep app.

List making allows me to organize and inventory my thoughts. It gives me the same satisfaction as cleaning out my closet or reorganizing my kitchen drawers. Even when I’m really busy, angry, or exhausted, making lists--of why I’m busy, angry, and exhausted, and what I can do about it--seems to make me feel better. List making can be soothing. It can bring clarity and order to chaos. So next time you feel overwhelmed, make a list!

No comments:

Post a Comment