streams

streams

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Transformation

I wish I had the power to change the world, but I can’t even change myself. However, this doesn’t prevent me from trying to influence others. I’ve discovered  that, although temporary change can be brought about by external influences, complete metamorphosis requires internal struggle and growth.

In a previous post, I have referred to the story about a butterfly who ended up with deformed wings because a well-intentioned person tried to help it by opening up its cocoon. According to this story, struggle is part of the maturation process, and trying to bypass it can result in stunted growth.

Recently, I came across some online videos on butterfly care. It showed how to relocate a chrysalis to a sheltered spot; how to feed butterflies with sugar water; how to repair butterfly wings using clear tape, glue, or even bits of cardboard. I was amazed to discover that there are people out there who took time and effort to care for butterflies. This makes me wonder if there are ways to nurture and care for those who are still weak without interfering with their growth.

“Ask God to help you find the perfect balance of being loving, but not smothering; encouraging, but not indulging; concerned, but not critical; caring, but not controlling; building up, but not overbearing; supportive, but not disabling. Only God can help you walk this sensitive line.” (The Power of Praying for Your Adult Children, by Stormie Omartian)

1 comment: