streams

streams

Monday, October 20, 2014

Smart Spenders

“A fool and his money are soon parted.” (English Proverb)

Sales people are trained to spot suckers. When potential customers walk in wearing expensive items, it’s a sign that they can be convinced to part with their money. When I see a woman with a purse that costs ten times more than the average purse, I don’t think she is  wealthy or has a high sense of fashion. It’s more likely that she is easily manipulated by the opinions of others.

A smart spender is not likely to be duped into paying extra just because of a brand logo. They are able to judge each purchase  on its own merit. I’ve heard people claim that they are willing to pay extra for something because it will last longer. Yet, most of us are ready to get new things before the previous one has stopped functioning.

What if you are a smart spender but receive an expensive gift that implies otherwise? This has happened to me. I am reluctant to wear or use expensive gifts in public. I don’t like being targeted by salespeople. As far as I’m concerned, anything that announces that I am willing to pay more than average merely makes me look like a chump. The only people who are impressed by ostentatious displays of wealth are other dumb spenders.

No comments:

Post a Comment