streams

streams

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Capacity for Faith

"The unspiritual self, just as it is by nature, can't receive the Gifts of God's Spirit. There's no capacity for them. They seem like so much silliness. Spirit can be known only by Spirit--God's Spirit and our spirits in open communion." (1 Cor. 2:14 MSG)

Most new digital cameras come with barely enough memory to take a few test pictures. They do not have the capacity to fill their intended purpose- to recognize and capture images. The factory installed memory card has to be replaced with an upgraded one to make the camera functional.

Similarly, our natural self can't receive the gifts of God's Spirit. There is no capacity for them. We cannot recognize or store God's Spirit within us till our factory installed self is replaced by God.

Faith can seem silly to those who do not have God's Spirit within them. Their souls have limited storage, just enough to house their own identities. They are unable to see beyond themselves. This is not a flaw, it's just the default setting.

God gives gifts to those who are in close relationship with Him. Self-reliant individuals are resistant to the idea that God is the source of all. I was one of these people until I was at my wits end, when I was shown the limitations of my capacity.

I'm extremely grateful for the gift of faith, yet because it's a gift, I can't take any credit for it. Yet, revealing my faith can encourage others to seek out God's Spirit for themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment