streams

streams

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Advocate

“We have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ...” (1 John 2:1 NLT)

Walking with someone on a bed of roses can be more enjoyable than accompanying them on a bed of thorns. Certain jobs like party planning, entertainment, tourism, etc. seem more pleasant than being a hospice worker or an attorney. Even personal relationships are much more pleasurable when we are celebrating weddings, graduations, or a job promotion, rather than when we are supporting someone through a divorce, unemployment, or serious illness. Yet, bonds that are welded in fire are enduring. When we are yoked together in suffering, when we accompany someone through the dark phases of life, when we share each others’ burdens--we experience a higher level of intimacy. This same principle applies to our relationship with Christ.

Jesus speaks up for us when we need an advocate and a friend. He stands by us despite our sinfulness--in prosperity as well as scarcity, in tranquility as well as adversity. Our Lord is always with us. In times of tribulation, we can either fixate on our grief and disappointment, or turn to the One who walks with us and bears our burdens. Intimacy with Christ is forged in these fires of affliction.

Jesus, You are my advocate and constant friend. You speak up for me, and defend me in times of persecution. You hold my hand through the darkest valleys and rejoice with me when I reach the light-filled peaks. Every experience brings me closer to You. You want me to know You and rely on You. Teach me to love You as You love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment