streams

streams

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Lilting Lullabies

“When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by.” (Exodus 33:22 NIV)
The tornado sirens were blaring. Meteorologists on TV warned listeners to go to their ‘safe place’--either a basement, under the stairs, or in a bathroom on the lowest floor. I hunkered down in the basement with my nervous dog while the storm passed through the neighborhood. Even after the worst was over, I couldn’t sleep. The dog kept pacing, refusing to leave my side. I figured she might be picking up on my anxiety. I coaxed her to her sleeping spot, dimmed the lights, and hummed a little hymn for both our sakes. I pulled a thick blanket over her crate so that she felt safe and cozy. I went to my own bed and lay down again. I prayed for safety and peace. I asked that God would teach me to trust Him. Eventually I felt calmer and drifted off to sleep.
Lord, you are my safe hiding place. You tuck me in and soothe me with lilting lullabies. You soften your glory for my sake. I shall rest securely in You.  

No comments:

Post a Comment