streams

streams

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Training the Mind

“Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.” (Psalm 144:1 KJV)

I hope to run a marathon someday.  Right now, 26.2 miles seems like a formidable distance, especially considering my age. In my experience, every new goal feels insurmountable at first. Yet, consistent training and perseverance lead to incremental improvements.

I have another aspiration. God has taught me many lessons over the years. I would like this wisdom to penetrate deep into my soul and transform me. Yet, even that which seems like common sense is difficult for me to implement. I continually fall, fail, and become frustrated. Perhaps I should approach this goal like training for a long distance race--practice regularly, aim for incremental improvements, learn from setbacks, allow time for recovery, prepare for the hard parts, push through fatigue, rehearse pulling myself out of despondency, and refuse to give up...

Lord, you train me to fight fairly and well. I rely on your strength and enduring patience. Show me how to apply Your wisdom to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment