streams

streams

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Picking Off Cockleburs

“When my anxious inner thoughts become overwhelming, your comfort encourages me.” (Psalm 94:19 ISV)

Cockleburs, spiny seed pods of the Xanthium plant, are common in our area. These prickly seeds cling to animals and humans so they can propagate in new areas. When I get back from a walk with our dog, I usually find a few on my clothes and stuck to the dog’s fur. I try to pick them off before we get in the house, or else they spread to the furniture and carpet, which can be even more irritating. After a long hike, I sit on the porch with our dog, gently picking off one cocklebur at a time, while brushing her fur.

Bothersome thoughts are a lot like cockleburs. At first, they snag onto the periphery of our minds; if left unattended, these worries propagate and spread, becoming even more problematic. When our anxieties become overwhelming, our Lord sits by us, picking off the prickly seeds of irritation, soothing our souls.

Lord, when I feel tormented by the cares of this world, I shall come to You.  I know you will pick off my fears, one by one. Your attentive ministrations bring me relief and encouragement.

2 comments:

  1. I loved today's Metaphor and will carry this with me to remember as I face a challenging day with family obligations. Like Sydney and you, the burs must be picked out one at a time before they become irritating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pain to deal with, but it's and even bigger pain not to :-/

      Delete