streams

streams

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Spiritual Success

"It's not possible for a person to succeed - I'm talking about eternal success - without heaven's help.” (John 3:27 MSG)

If given the choice between material success and spiritual progress, what would you choose?

I must confess that many of my prayers are centered on earthly aspirations--conflict-free relationships, financial stability, physical health, and emotional well-being. Unfortunately, I’m not alone in this. Many of us see faith as a means to an end, not as a goal unto itself.  

I see a similar mentality in many high school students. They care more about finishing their assignments and passing their tests than about learning or retaining the information. From their vantage point, high school gets you to college, college gets you a job, and a job gets you all the other stuff you want in life. Learning is a means to an end, not a goal unto itself.

Unlike worldly accomplishments, spiritual progress cannot be measured; thus, it is devalued. In a culture where self-reliance is seen as ideal, dependence on God is often reserved for times of desperation. Faith calls for trust, and learning to trust God requires Divine help. The Spirit of Truth becomes our tutor, sitting beside us, using our experiences as teaching opportunities, pointing out valuable lessons throughout life.

"Show me how you work, God; School me in your ways. Take me by the hand; Lead me down the path of truth." (Psalm 25:4-5 MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment