streams

streams

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Not Ready

“This isn't my time. Don't push me." (John 2:4 MSG)

Jesus is at a wedding with His mother. The wine has run out. Mary expects Jesus to do something about it. Jesus doesn’t feel ready to launch himself to the public.

Having been at both ends of this situation, I can identify. I have been the pushy mother who thinks it’s about time for her son to show the world what he’s got. I’ve also been in the position of feeling ill-equipped and unready to follow what God has called me to do.

“She went ahead anyway, telling the servants, "Whatever he tells you, do it.” (John 2:5 MSG)

Jesus asks the servants to fill the empty ceremonial vessels with water. Water was not what was needed at the time, and it must have taken some effort to go get water. The servants obey; they don’t question the rationality or the feasibility of the plan.  Jesus transforms the water into wine.  

Our lives are often like these ceremonial receptacles. We can fill them with what we want or what God wants. It might not seem to make much of a difference at the time. However, obedience matters. It is a sign of trust and receptivity. When we live by God’s word, when we confidently follow His instructions, He transforms our emptiness into His intended purposes.

Lord, I often feel empty and unprepared. Help me to trust You and do Your will. Fill me; change me; use me.

No comments:

Post a Comment