streams

streams

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Spiritual Stagnation

“Whoever accepts and trusts the Son gets in on everything, life complete and forever!” (John 3:36 MSG)

A few years ago, I got a Fitbit fitness tracker that measures my movement and heart rate. Before this, I assumed I was ‘active enough’ since my days were often busy with daily chores around the house, running errands, and walking the dog. But after I got the Fitbit, I realized that unless I was intentional about exercising, my activity level was still in the sedentary category. During many of my routine activities, my heart rate remained ‘out of zone’--too low to count as exercise.

I wonder what my day would look like if I had a spiritual fitness tracker? I study my Bible, go to church, volunteer, pray, listen to Christian music, and read Christian books on a regular basis. While all this activity may make me seem like a spiritual person, in reality, my heart might still  be ‘out of zone.’ I could be spiritually stagnant on the inside, while appearing active on the outside. Unless I can trust God and remain in His presence, all my endeavors amount to very little significance.

Jesus, I want to remain constantly connected to You throughout my day. Help me to entrust everything to You. Teach me to make every step count.

No comments:

Post a Comment