streams

streams

Monday, March 5, 2012

Engage Your Spirit

I've always driven cars with automatic transmissions. I mostly shift between Park, Reverse, and Drive. I've never engaged D1 or D2 gears. I've heard these gears are meant for hills or something, but I've managed to get along without using them thus far.

"It's who you are and the way you live that count before God. Your worship must engage your spirit in the pursuit of truth. That's the kind of people the Father is out looking for: those who are simply and honestly themselves before him. God is sheer being itself-- Spirit. Those who worship him must do it out of their very being, their spirits, their true selves, in adoration." (John 4:23-24 MSG)

When I worship, I engage my mouth, my mind and occasionally my hands. How does one engage the spirit? Is spirit synonymous with mind, soul, and heart? Worship, as described in the above verses, seems different than the singing we usually associate with this word. It seems more an internal practice than public expression.

We might have managed to get along thus far in our faith just by using the superficial gears. Our adoration must be true, authentic, and sincere. We must engage our deep, deep core so our spirit may commune with The Spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't it seem like a tall order, at times? Especially as prescribed in that last part of the verse. I like the beginning part best "It's who you are and the way you live that count before God. Your worship must engage your spirit in the pursuit of truth." I do that more, and I'm glad to see that pursuit is described as worship. I pursue because he matters, because I love him. Amen.

    ReplyDelete